May #112 : Legal Eye - by Catherine Hanssens

POZ - Health, Life and HIV
Subscribe to:
POZ magazine
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join

Back to home » Archives » POZ Magazine issues

Table of Contents

A Model Activist

Hep Cat

The Brave Lady of Haiti

Mighty Real

Big, Bad Media Bugout


PEP on the Down Low

Quick Studies

Legal Eye

On the March!

Notes on Camp

Kentucky Fried Bigots?

POZ Picks

Hollywood to HIVers: Drop Dead


Veggie Table

Don't Run

A Peek in the Pipeline

Ducking Resistance

Quick Study

Pharm Team



Editor's Letter


Teen Jeopardy

Heavy Lifting

Most Popular Lessons

The HIV Life Cycle


Herpes Simplex Virus

Syphilis & Neurosyphilis

Treatments for Opportunistic Infections (OIs)

What is AIDS & HIV?

Hepatitis & HIV

email print

May 2005

Legal Eye

by Catherine Hanssens

I'd like to visit Bali this summer. Can I enter as an HIVer? Will I have trouble bringing meds or getting refills?  -Frequent Flyer 

Dear Flyer,

Bali’s lack of official HIV restrictions is no guarantee that you won’t encounter problems. The Indonesian consulate general told POZ, “Of course people with HIV are restricted,” because they’re “taboo” and must be “separate from the public.” We were also told that if no one knows you’re positive, you’re safe—but HIV meds might prompt a review from a customs doctor—and your exclusion.

Before flying anywhere abroad, contact each country’s embassy; some bar HIV positive visitors, mostly for stays over 90 days, or for work or study. Most countries aren’t as restrictive as the U.S., which excludes noncitizens with HIV unless they’ve secured a waiver. If you lack American citizenship, think twice about leaving the U.S.—you may not get back in.

Never leave home without your prescription slips (documenting that the drugs are yours and legal) and a doctor’s note (without mention of HIV) confirming you’re noncontagious and fit for travel. Travel with all the meds you’ll need (ensure that your provider will ship emergency meds and that you’ll get them). Finally, check your insurance before packing; Medicare and many insurers don’t cover care abroad. Depending on your health, consider travel insurance for medical transport should you need to be flown home.

The U.S. State Department’s website offers helpful info on HIV travel restrictions and embassy numbers; see Immigration Equality is also an essential source of info and attorneys for HIV positive
travelers and immigrants, at or 212.714.2904. Bon voyage—and don’t drink the water.

Catherine Hanssens, JD, founded the Center for HIV Law and Policy. Her column offers general guidance and shouldn't subsitute for a lawyer's counsel. Send your own legal queries to

[Go to top]

Facebook Twitter Google+ MySpace YouTube Tumblr Flickr Instagram
Quick Links
Current Issue

HIV Testing
Safer Sex
Find a Date
Newly Diagnosed
HIV 101
Disclosing Your Status
Starting Treatment
Help Paying for Meds
Search for the Cure
POZ Stories
POZ Opinion
POZ Exclusives
Read the Blogs
Visit the Forums
Job Listings
Events Calendar
POZ on Twitter

Ask POZ Pharmacist

Talk to Us
Did you participate in an event for National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2016?


more surveys
Contact Us
We welcome your comments!
[ about Smart + Strong | about POZ | POZ advisory board | partner links | advertising policy | advertise/contact us | site map]
© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved. Terms of use and Your privacy.
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.