January #131 : Big Med on Campus - by Christina Rock

POZ - Health, Life and HIV
Subscribe to:
POZ magazine
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join

Back to home » Archives » POZ Magazine issues

Table of Contents

Labors of Love

The Kids Aren't Alright

With Honors

A Little Something on the Side

Even Combos Get the Blues

The Load Not Taken

HIV Bytes

Don't Get Fresh With Me

Discounted Labels

Thai-ing the Knot

Don't Leave Work Without It

Teen Angel

While You Weren't Sleeping

High Definition

Isn't That Special?

Prison Break

Anywhere but Here

Death and the Maidens

Diplomatic Immunity

Very Adult Education

On the Download

Face for the Cure

Tales From the Crib

Big Med on Campus

Editor's Letter-January 2007

Mailbox-January 2007

Catch of the Month-January 2007

Most Popular Lessons

The HIV Life Cycle


Herpes Simplex Virus

Syphilis & Neurosyphilis

Treatments for Opportunistic Infections (OIs)

What is AIDS & HIV?

Hepatitis & HIV

email print

January 2007

Big Med on Campus

by Christina Rock

Christina Rock just says no to HIV drugs—and flunks high school adherence

I forgot to take my meds right before the Los Angeles AIDS Walk. Pretty ironic, huh? You’d think that since I’ve been HIV positive for all of my 22 years and on meds for 17, I wouldn’t screw up—especially before walking six miles to raise awareness for the disease. What rattled me most, however, was the memories it revived from high school, when I battled with med adherence—and lost big time. I skipped so many doses that I’m resistant to the whole class of NRTI meds. Luckily, I’ve found another regimen, and I’m very healthy, but I can’t risk my safety again.

In the fall of 1998, I moved from Key West, Florida, to live with my aunt and uncle in suburban Boston. They enrolled me in a large public high school and told the administration and my teachers about my status. The students weren’t told—except for a few I disclosed to. I found my niche: I joined the drama club, the choir and the color guard and made cool friends. Still, taking 14 to 20 pills two times a day, with all the food requirements, was really tough in that environment. There’s so much else to adhere to: being cool, fitting in, keeping my grades up. I felt that taking my pills made me different, even though hardly any of my classmates knew I was positive. While other kids struggled with the pressure to take drugs they shouldn’t take, I felt pressured to skip drugs I had to take.

The pills were huge, and swallowing them was hard. I hated starting my school day with 19 pills rolling around inside me. As a result, by the end of my sophomore year, my room had become a minefield of missed doses. I hoarded them in plastic baggies and socks, behind books and clothes. When I started fainting and getting weird rashes and fevers and swollen glands, I lied to my doctors and said I’d taken the meds. My aunt and uncle, meanwhile, weren’t monitoring me closely. I would always take meds when they were in the room, but they made the mistake of trusting me at other times.

Though my body was falling apart, I was doing well in school. Our color guard was asked to perform at a Red Sox game (a dream for a fan like me). A few weeks before the event, my aunt confronted me with some baggies she’d found. I fessed up and pulled out my stockpiles of missed doses. The next day, she and my doctors admitted me to the psych ward at Children’s Hospital Boston for “passive suicide.” A part of me is grateful for that intervention, though I’d never thought about killing myself. I just didn’t want to take all those pills that made me feel sick.

The Red Sox performance took place while I was in the hospital, so my doctors gave me a day pass. I surprised my classmates, and we had a great time. Afterward, my aunt and uncle were supposed to pick me up and return me to the hospital but got stuck in traffic. When the chaperones couldn’t wait any longer, the whole busload drove me back to the psych ward. Talk about embarrassing.

The hospital staff helped me through my pill anxiety—developing side-effect strategies too—and I was released after three weeks. That began a process of self-acceptance and more disclosure. Once I was out about everything, the wall that I let HIV build between me and “normal” people crumbled. My medication is no longer a reminder of my difference, just something that helps me maintain a busy, happy life. I guess it’s all just a part of growing—and growing up—with HIV.  

[Go to top]

Facebook Twitter Google+ MySpace YouTube Tumblr Flickr Instagram
Quick Links
Current Issue

HIV Testing
Safer Sex
Find a Date
Newly Diagnosed
HIV 101
Disclosing Your Status
Starting Treatment
Help Paying for Meds
Search for the Cure
POZ Stories
POZ Opinion
POZ Exclusives
Read the Blogs
Visit the Forums
Job Listings
Events Calendar
POZ on Twitter

Ask POZ Pharmacist

Talk to Us
Did you participate in an event for National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2016?


more surveys
Contact Us
We welcome your comments!
[ about Smart + Strong | about POZ | POZ advisory board | partner links | advertising policy | advertise/contact us | site map]
© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved. Terms of use and Your privacy.
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.