Tips and Tests for Healthy Aging
by Liz Highleyman
Keeping tabs on drug interactions is essential to managing HIV as you age, but your doc shouldn’t focus only on the virus—make sure he also knows your family health history and gives you the following routine health maintenance exams.
- Blood pressure
- Blood lipid profile (cholesterol and triglycerides)
- Blood sugar tests
- Liver and kidney function tests
- Thyroid function
- Breast self-exams and mammograms
- Pap smears for cervical and anal cancer
- Digital rectal exams and PSA tests for prostate cancer
- Colonoscopy for colon cancer
- DEXA bone density scans
Doc isn’t the only one responsible for your health. Here’s how you can help yourself:
- Eliminate or cut down on cigarettes, alcohol and drug use.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
- Get exercise.
- Keep mentally active.
- Stay socially involved.