Ten Questions That Every Positive Woman Should Ask Her Doctor
A checklist from Vicki Cargill-Swiren, MD, to take to your next appointment
1. How’s my overall health?
2. Do I have any specific problems—and what can I do to address them?
3. What’s my CD4 count and viral load?
4. If on meds, are they working? If not, when should I start?
5. Do I have any STDs?
6. Is my Pap smear normal? How often do I need one?
7. What can I do to improve my overall health?
8. Do you know of any support groups for HIV positive women?
9. What can I do if I am depressed, using drugs or drinking a lot?
10. What other issues might be affecting my health?
And three more to ask if you’re having a baby:
1. How can I prevent HIV transmission to my child?
2. Are my current HIV meds safe during pregnancy?
3. Should I have a vaginal delivery or a C-section?