August 3, 2011
Boys Who Masturbate Are More Likely to Use Condoms
A new study of sexually active adolescents revealed that boys who masturbated were about eight times as likely to have used a condom during their last sexual encounter when compared with boys who did not masturbate, Reuters Health reports. There was no such link between masturbation and condom use in girls. Less than half the girls said they masturbated, while about three quarters of boys reported doing so. Eighty-six percent of boys who reported wearing a condom the last time they had sex also reported masturbating during the previous year. The study findings suggest that male masturbation plays a role in sexual self-awareness and predisposition to condom usage. The study was underwritten by Church & Dwight Co., the maker of Trojan condoms.
To read the Reuters article, click here.
Search: masturbation, condom, sex, condoms, condom use, boys, teens, adolescents, sexual encounter, masturbate, Trojan, Church & Dwight Co.
Scroll down to comment on this story.
comments 1 - 14 (of 14 total)
John B Sloop, New York, 2011-09-13 22:10:54
Masturbating! Boys? Condoms? This survey is done by Trojan ~ I don't think so. Masturbating with a condom, c'mon ~ sounds like something Bachmann would come up with.
David, philadelphia, 2011-09-05 00:44:10
what boy doesn't masturbate?
Jerry, Fredericksbrg, Va., 2011-08-30 11:39:09
WHAT !! I masturbated numerous times a day on through my teens and still didn't use condoms ...hmmmmmm....these scientist and their scientific studies.
Corby Bailey, Houston, 2011-08-25 18:29:14
Are there any boy's that don't masturbate? We were born with a pull toy, Hello...
Carlton, Chicago, 2011-08-19 10:53:09
Too many of you so called Experts know everything about everybody. When in fact all you know is what you do. Too many Assumptions made. Tend to your affair and what you actually know. there is a spectrum for everything in life from 0 - 100 dont assume that there are no zeros.
Latin Bro, Crack lake, wa, 2011-08-17 13:10:58
Thats a bunch of B.S. , everyone masturbates its a natural thing,spend money on finding a cure, whatever !
60 and still doing it, DC, 2011-08-05 11:55:23
The old saying that "98% of guys masturbate and the other 2% are lying" sums up the validity of a study wherein 25% of teenage boys claimed they did not. We'd have to know how the questions were posed. The interpretation of masturbate might have confused the teen guy as in "I only did it once last year so that doesn't count."
John Eisenhans, St. Louis, 2011-08-05 10:23:52
What a joke! It is an outrage that money is being spent on this sort of "research." Where is Sonnabend and his sharp critical analysis? Where is Hoffman's harsh condemnation of this sham? Why is POZ wasting column inches on this 6_//5#!+?
Squeeky boy, Southern California, 2011-08-04 19:35:01
A boy that doesn't masturbate??? Is there such a being??? I doubt this worthless study.
Peter, Oak Park, 2011-08-04 18:01:15
I question the truthfulness of any 14-17 year old boy who says he does not masturbate, or the pressure he may feel he is under to say thus. I noticed the study referred to those who engaged only in oral and vaginal sex - not anal. Nor was it commented if the males surveyed were boys who had sex with boys, with girls, or both.
Craig, Orlando,FLorida, 2011-08-04 17:35:06
Well now lets be real here and I want to get a grant to do a useless and skewed study that I do not have to work hard doing. Of course the logic behind the so call results is that when one masturbates they are not so hard up and horney and take the time to put on a condom. Where as the one who does not masturbate is so horney and ready to shoot they just want to get it on for there is no time to put on a condom as well as they do not know how to hold out!
Tully Fitzsimmons, Keene NH, 2011-08-04 14:51:55
This is total nonsense. The number of boys who do NOT masturbate is so small that it renders any stastistical conclusions untenable. Furthermore, the 'study' was funded by a compamny having a vested interest in the outcome of the study....how surprising it produced results that give the company PR, huh?
Mike, Kissimmee FL, 2011-08-04 13:37:20
I'm 55 yrs old and when i was a teenager i used to masterbate all the time and when i would have Sex i never used a condom as a matter of fact i still masterbate every so often but i must admit that if i were to have Casual Sex with someone i just met i would use a condom i really do not need to catch anything else besides My HIV+
Cardo, , 2011-08-04 12:06:45
comments 1 - 14 (of 14 total)
I am skeptical of healthy adolescent males who claim not to masturbate. Most who say they don't in surveys are probably lying.
[Go to top]