The transgender community continues to be one of the groups most affected by the HIV epidemic. To support organizations and programs that promote health and safety among transgender individuals, pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences has launched the Gilead TRANScend Community Impact Fund. The fund is now accepting applications from trans-led organizations for funding in three different areas.
Specifically, according to Gilead’s request for proposals, “Gilead will support strategic program development, capacity building and implementation of direct service initiatives bolstered by strong community engagement efforts to build and sustain progress in reducing the impact of HIV within transgender communities.”
Funding will be provided in these three areas:
- Grantmaking Partner: a lead philanthropic partner for regranting funds to grassroots organizations with total budgets of less than $250,000 per year. Grantmaking partners are eligible for a maximum of $1 million over two years.
- Capacity Building Partner: an intermediary group that provides training, technical assistance and capacity building support for trans-led organizations. This partner is also eligible for up to $1 million over a two-year period.
- Direct Services Grantee: direct grants of up to $200,000 to groups with annual budgets of $250,000 or more.
The deadline for proposal submissions is October 11, 2019.
The TRANScend Fund is the result of a meeting in May between Gilead and leaders from the transgender community, advocates and health care groups. According to a resultant report, the meeting focused on specific ways to support trans groups. The following priorities were identified:
- Invest in trans-led housing services for transgender communities;
- Support economic empowerment opportunities for transgender communities;
- Invest in workforce and professional development programs for transgender communities;
- Invest in trans-led direct services;
- Invest in reentry services for formerly incarcerated trans individuals;
- Invest in community-informed approaches for transgender communities;
- Continue to invest in innovative solutions and research within transgender communities;
- Continue to provide resources for trans-specific and trans-led programs;
- Highlight reproductive rights for transgender men and women.
To read more about TRANScend, including the Transgender Advisory Board’s report and the request for proposals, visit Gilead.com.