If you can’t stand the smoke, mangia your ganja. Stir Crazy: Cooking With Cannabis packs some yummy reefer recipes. With cannabis cuisine, you eat before you get the munchies. Waking and baking? Try the Freefall Flapjacks. When POZ took a trip to the kitchen, we found that cookie highs can be more intense than reefer madness. Don’t eat them all at once!
MAKING CANNAFLOUR WITH LEAF OR BUD
The easiest way to prepare cannabis for cooking is to process it into a flour that can be added directly to recipes. Leaf or bud for flour should be dry and crisp enough to be crumbled between your fingers. A short stretch in a warm oven or a minute or two in a microwave will dry out fresh cannabis.
Use: 20 grams of leaf or 10 grams of bud
- Remove stalks or woody debris and place the leaf or bud in a food processor.
- Process the leaf or bud into a flour-like powder and let it settle for a minute.
- Using a knife, work the cannaflour through a sieve to break down stubborn leaves and remove any remaining debris. You might notice a fine dust thrown up during the process. This is precious, potent stuff, rich in THC. Don’t let it escape. Cannaflour should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated.
Chocolate and herb combine to make these cookies a crucial treat. If you have a high tolerance for chocolate, double the dose of chips. Then sit back and enjoy the gooey goodness.
Use: 5 level teaspoons of cannaflour
Makes: 20 cookies
3 oz. plain flour (75 g)
4 oz. butter (110 g)
4 oz. soft brown sugar (110 g)
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 oz. chocolate chips (75 g)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Preheat oven to 300°F
- Beat cannaflour, butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl or blender until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract, add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop up lumps of the cookie dough, roll them into ping pong ball–sized rounds, then arrange them on baking trays. Allow plenty of space as the dough will expand in the oven. Flatten the balls into cookie shapes.
- Bake cookies in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes or until they are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- After baking, transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to cool. Store them in an airtight container.
You can find this recipe and others in Stir Crazy. Write to the Quick Trading Co. at 1635 E. 22nd St., Oakland, CA 94606, call 800.848.4277, or click to their website at www.quicktrading.com.
THE BONG AND SHORT OF IT
Marijuana Medical Handbook
by Dale Gieringer, PhD, Ed Rosenthal and Tod Mikuriya, MD (Quick Trading Co., Oakland, CA)
How to Grow Marijuana Indoors for Medicinal Use
by G.W. Carver (Homestead Press, Seattle)
Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts: A Review of the Scientific Evidence
by Lynn Zimmer and John P. Morgan
(Open Society Institute Publications, New York City)
Marijuana and AIDS: Pot, Politics and PWAs in America
by Robert Randall (Galen Press, Washington, DC)
High Times Online Store
(www.hightimes.com) offers a marvelous selection of books on growing and cooking with marijuana.
(805.543.0760) in San Luis Obispo, California, offers help on finding grow lights, instruction books and everything else you need to get started.