Dozens of babies and children have been accidentally infected with HIV in South African public hospitals, reportedly due to poor sterilization procedures, possible use of HIV-infected breast milk and re-use of syringes. Four of them have died.

News of this outbreak has prompted the health ministry to request a detailed report on specific cases of accidental infection, with activists and medical experts urging for improved infection control in South Africa’s state hospitals.

Accidental HIV infection has been linked to public hospitals all over the globe in recent weeks, most notably in China, Peru and Kyrgyzstan.