Housing Works is a healing community of people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. Our mission is to end the dual crises of homelessness and AIDS through relentless advocacy, the provision of lifesaving services, and entrepreneurial businesses that sustain our efforts.
Originally posted by Elizabeth Koke, September 28, 2015 in their AIDS Issues Update Blog Dispatches from the fight against homelessness and AIDS
Ending the AIDS Epidemic Proclamation
On Thursday, September 24th, in light of the Regional Ending the Epidemic discussion that took place, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams issued a Proclamation, declaring it the Ending the AIDS Epidemic in NY by 2020 Day.
“Whereas, on behalf of all Brooklynites, I salute the organizers of the Ending the AIDS Epidemic in New York by 2020 Day, Housing Works, and the END AIDS NY 2020 Coalition, for creating this dedicated task force; I applaud them for the exemplary leadership they have shown over the years, including moving beyond the goal of 750 new infections per year; I commend the organizers for sharing their knowledge as well as their vision of zero new infections, zero AIDS related deaths, and HIV discrimination as a thing of the past; and I thank everyone for all that they have done to touch and improve the lives of many, helping to move our communities forward as One Brooklyn.”
There are four more opportunities to join in regional discussions in Queens, Staten Island, and Long Island:
- Queens October 13 (RSVP by 10/6)
- Staten Island October 14 (RSVP by 10/7)
- Nassau County November 12 (RSVP by 11/5)
- Suffolk County November 13 (RSVP by 11/6)
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
- Join us on the steps of City Hall on October 14th!
- Share this post on Twitter and Facebook!
- Learn more about the Housing Works AIDS-FREE campaign, a collaborative, multi-year initiative committed to ending the AIDS epidemic--in New York State by 2020 (AIDS-FREE NY 2020), in the United States by 2025 (AIDS-FREE USA 2025), and worldwide by 2030 (AIDS-FREE WORLD 2030).
- Join the Housing Works advocacy community! For more information on how to get involved, contact Jaron Benjamin, VP of Community Mobilization & National Advocacy, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about our advocacy efforts, go to www.housingworks.org/advocate.
- Support our advocacy work on behalf of people of color, LGBT people, and other marginalized communities and donate to Housing Works today!
- To learn more about our advocacy efforts, sign up for our weekly AIDS Issues Update blog and check out www.housingworks.org/advocate.