HOPE Challenge - HIV and the Politics of Race: The Minority AIDS Initiative
The Minority AIDS Initiative (MAI), an equity-centered legislative initiative to close racial and ethnic gaps in HIV was created in 1998 by Congresswoman Maxine Waters in partnership with HIV advocates and administrators representing communities of color negatively affected by HIV. This year marks the 25th anniversary of that legislation.
Join us for an engaging and thought-provoking event to explore how the politics of affirmative action has affected MAI’s ability to promote effective HIV prevention and care strategies in communities of color, why racial-, ethnic-, and linguistic-specific public health interventions work in racial, ethnic, and target populations, and how the public health and legal communities can work together to save lives.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Guillermo Chacon, President, Latino Commission on AIDS
- Jeffrey S. Crowley, Director, Georgetown University O’Neill Institute for National & Global Health Law
- Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, PhD, Distinguished Presidential Research Fellow, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health Department of Health Policy and Management
- Alphonso David, Civil Rights Attorney and President and CEO of the Global Black Economic Forum
- Robyn Neblett Fanfair, MD, MPH, Acting Director, Division of HIV Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Darrell J. Gaskin, PhD, MS, Richardson Professor and Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions
- Joe Huang-Racalto, Director of Strategic Partnerships and Policy, NMAC
- Paul Kawata, Executive Director, NMAC
- Laurie Rubiner, Senior Government Relations Counsel, Kelley, Drye & Warren, LLP
Mark your calendars for Friday Dec 01, 2023 and get ready to be part of this important conversation. Doors will open at 08:30 AM (EST) while the event will kick off at 09:00 AM (EST) and will take place at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg Center at 555 Pensylvania Avenue in Northwest, Washington, DC 20001.
A Continental Breakfast will be provided.