Founded in 1989 and headquartered in Norfolk, LGBT Life Center provides programs and services to the LGBTQ and HIV communities in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Services include medical case management, housing, meals, transportation, outreach, prevention, education, and free HIV/STD testing. In five (soon to be six) locations in Norfolk, Hampton and Newport News, LGBT Life Center offers resources and support to meet the needs of Hampton Roads’ diverse communities.
Over the last 30 years, from its original mission to serve women and children living with HIV/AIDS, the organization’s work has changed, as HIV has changed. In 2006, the merger of CANDII House (Children AIDS Network Designed for Interfaith Involvement) and Full Circle AIDS Hospice Support, expanded the mission to serve more individuals and families impacted by HIV/AIDS. In 2011, with the opening of the LGBT Center of Hampton Roads, ACCESS AIDS, as it was then known, further increased its impact by offering LGBTQ programs and services. In 2017, with an expanded mission to empower LGBTQ communities and all people affected by HIV, the organization rebranded as LGBT Life Center.
Today, LGBT Life Center promotes dignity and wellness for all through its newly opened community healthcare clinic featuring an on-site pharmacy; mental and sexual health counseling; rapid HIV, Hep C and STD testing in multiple locations, including in-home and mobile testing vans; short-term and permanent housing; healthy meals; and safe spaces.
LGBT Life Center is funded through local, state and federal contracts, individuals and businesses, and is the proud beneficiary of Dining Out For Life and the Reel It Out Queer Film Festival. The agency, which operates with a $10M annual operating budget and 65 staff, is overseen by an 8-person Board of Directors. For more information about LGBT Life Center, visit https://lgbtlifecenter.org/
LGBT Life Center is a trusted leader that empowers the LGBTQ communities and all people affected by HIV through improving health and wellness, strengthening families and communities, and providing transformative education and advocacy.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Program Officer (CPO) will develop strategies, identify funding opportunities and design programs to meet the needs of Hampton Roads’ LGBTQ and HIV communities. In collaboration with the executive leadership team, the CPO will work to advance LGBT Life Center’s mission. Overseeing 60 staff, including the following direct reports, the CPO will assess, enhance and expand LGBT Life Center’s program and services:
- Director of Programs
- Director of Housing Services
- Director of Client Services
- Director of Care Navigation
- Director of Clinical Mental Health Services
The core responsibilities of the CPO position include:
Analysis, Strategy and Vision
- Analyze programs and devise strategies for generating new and increased program revenue opportunities;
- Develop business models that capitalize on service line revenue such as 340B savings and third-party billing;
- Refine programs and services to increase outcomes and maximize contract reimbursements;
- Utilizing quantitative and qualitative metrics, evaluate the efficacy of existing programs and services;
- Analyze staffing and workflow to improve billable hours;
- Develop tools for assessing community needs for additional services and programs;
Finance and Administration
- Create, direct and coordinate annual program plan and budget in conjunction with each program director;
- For each program, present financial plans for approval to the CFO and CEO;
- Monitor program budgets. Coordinate with CFO monthly on planned and unplanned variances, plans to resolve any resulting negative impact of variances (both revenue and expense), and upcoming issues that will result in budget variances. Monitor progress of grant contract budgets;
- Create and analyze budget, staff and facilities requirements for determining viability of new and expanded services and programs;
- Scale infrastructure to accommodate program growth;
- Enhance policies and procedures to standardize processes, increase efficiencies and insure regulatory compliance;
- Effectively lead and manage a diverse group of clinical and program staff;
- Identify public and private funding sources for existing and new services and programs;
- Devise tactics, project manage milestones and collaborate with executive and senior leaders to achieve organizational outcomes and realize strategic goals;
- Build strong and cohesive teams working collectively and collaboratively to provide integrated care for all clients and constituents;
- Lead teams, direct staff and oversee programs to ensure best practices and client-centered standards of care are reflected across all programs and services;
- Prepare reports and effectively communicate program goals and outcomes to the LGBT Life Center Board of Directors;
- Build relationships with elected officials, city agencies, and coalition partners;
- Promote diversity within LGBT Life Center and represent LGBT Life Center to internal and external clients, customers, and the community by actively supporting and promoting diversity;
- Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of LGBT Life Center.
The successful candidate will have at least 10 years of nonprofit leadership experience, including positions of increased responsibility in program development and oversight roles. The new Chief Program Officer will have demonstrated success developing and securing program revenue. The ideal candidate will bring the following:
- A skilled team leader and team builder capable of building collaborations across departments;
- Demonstrated capacity for thought leadership including adapting programs and teams in response to evolving community needs and advances in care and treatment;
- Experience developing LGBT programs and services;
- Community healthcare experience that includes case management and clinical services;
- Understanding of the budgeting and reporting requirements associated with government funded services;
- Knowledge of housing and community health funding models including New Market Tax Credits, 340b programs, and Medicare/Medicaid and third-party payor reimbursements;
- Proficiency collecting and analyzing data including performance metrics;
- An understanding of the history and issues facing LGBTQ, HIV-affected, at-risk and underserved communities;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree in a relevant field (M.B.A., M.P.A, M.P.H., M.S.W.) is preferred.
Our client is seeking a strategic leader with a track-record of developing and managing high-impact programs. The new Chief Program Officer will be adept at transforming community needs into fundable programs with measurable outcomes. The ideal candidate will be characterized by the following traits:
- High level of business acumen including successful budget management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; problem solving; project management; and creative resourcefulness.
- Strategic Vision and Agility-ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan to ensure full execution.
- High emotional intelligence exemplified by respect for LGBT Life Center’s history, appreciation for its impact in the community, and understanding of the interconnected nature of longstanding regional relationships.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator and skilled team leader capable of fostering a culture of trust and transparency. They will build productive collaborations with both staff and stakeholders. The Chief Program Officer will be passionate about providing the resources and support for LGBT and HIV-affected individuals to live a healthy and connected life.
Our client is offering a competitive compensation package for this position with a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and disability insurance, a 403b retirement plan, generous vacation and paid leave.
Basic relocation expenses may be considered for the exceptional individual they are seeking.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an accomplished senior leader to join a highly respected, growing and dynamic organization. For 30 years, LGBT Life Center has been expanding to meet the needs of Hampton Roads’ LGBT and HIV communities. By understanding the evolving needs of the diverse communities LGBT Life Center serves, the successful candidate will be integral to the ongoing development, enhancement and refinement of programs and services. The Chief Program Officer will have the satisfaction of knowing they are part of a team proving the essential resources and support to live a healthy, connected LGBT life.
Located in Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina, where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean, the historically rich region of Hampton Roads is influenced by vast shipping and fishing industries and laid-back beach culture. Hampton Roads encompasses seven cities including Norfolk, Newport News and Virginia Beach offering a variety of urban, suburban and waterfront communities. Residents enjoy long, warm summers and mild winters. With an abundance of fresh seafood, vibrant arts and entertainment scene, easy access to white sand beaches and an enduring sense of Southern Hospitality it’s no wonder four Hampton Roads cities, including Norfolk, made WalletHub’s list “2018 Happiest Places to Live.”
The city of Norfolk, home to LGBT Life Center’s administrative office and three of its service locations, is one of the nation’s fastest-growing ports, a destination for world-class cuisine and the center of a thriving arts community. The city has a population of 245,000 and a median home price of $207,000.
With below average crime and high-performing schools, it’s easy to see why Travel+Leisure named Norfolk “Favorite American City for 2018.”
For 30 years, Norfolk has hosted Hampton Roads Pride, a weeklong celebration of LGBT culture and community. Festivities include performances, a fashion show, dancing, roller skating, a huge block party, and the nation’s only LGBT Boat Parade.
What’s it like to live in Norfolk/Virginia Beach?
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and résumé as attachments via e-mail to:
Michelle Kristel, Managing Partner
1740 Broadway, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Please note that your education, dates of employment and other information will be verified prior to an offer.
LGBT Life Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. LGBTQ people, people of color, transgender and gender nonconforming people, and individuals of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.