1. Drug/ Company
4. Standard Treatment
6. From the gut of PWA Stephen Gendin
3. New Drug Application filed last December; FDA approval possible this summer
4. None approved; humatin often used
5. Trials found about 40 percent of PWAs had half the stool frequency; community reports of benefit from combo treatment.
6. “While far from a cure, everyone with crypto should try it, perhaps with other experimental treatments. With little on the horizon, this is the best we’ve got.”
1. Rituximab (Rituxan)/Genentech
2. Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (NHL)
3. Approved for low-grade, CD20+-type lymphoma; Phase II underway for intermediate- and high-grade lymphoma
4. mBACoD, CHoP, other chemo
5. Monoclonal antibody. For all grades of lymphoma, 30 to 40 percent of (HIV-negative) people had some response. Low-graders had extremely good results when combining with CHoP.
6. “Trials are planned for people with HIV. Meantime, for the adventurous—or the desperate—this drug is definitely worth checking out, even without HIV-specific data.”
1. T-20 (Pentafuside)/Trimeris
3. Phase II underway
4. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)
5. Fusion inhibitor, aimed at preventing HIV’s fusion with T cells. Taken IV. In short dose-ranging study, all four PWAs on highest dose had viral loads drop to undetectable.
6. “The good news is, this is a new class of drugs. The bad news? The first drugs in a new class usually turn out to be a bust. Still, it’s encouraging that researchers are investigating meds other than protease inhibitors or nucleoside analogues.”
1. XQ-9302/Shanghai Xiong Qi Biological Products Co.
3. Phase I/II underway at AIDS Research Alliance (Los Angeles)
5. Powdered mix of 20 Chinese herbs—some disclosed, some not, due to a pending patent. Formula shown to have test-tube anti-HIV activity. A Shanghai study of five people found greater than one-log viral-load reduction sustained over nine months.
6. “It’s great that a highly respected community-based research group like AIDS Research Alliance is investigating alternative medicine—in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, no less. But if this research is to be taken seriously, the complete recipe must be revealed.”
New Drug watch
1. Drug/ Company