- 16 Going on 17: At GMHC’s controversial classic “Morning Party” on Fire Island, 4,000 hot bods celebrated a bittersweet 16, cops busted 21 for drugs, and Gotham tabloids gawked.
- Tea for Two: Playboy Playmate and POZ covergirl Rebekka Armstrong rubbed off on Kate Shindle (Miss America 1998) at the Phoenix POZ Life Expo in July.
- The Hills Are Alive: Eight PWAs raised AIDS awareness to new heights by scaling Africa’s Mt. Kilimanjaro for all the World AIDS Conference to see via video hookup.
- Don’t Cry for Me, Sandy Thurman: ACT UP/NY’s (and POZ’s own) Bob Lederer got on the horn after clean-needle advocates seized the DC office of the AIDS czarina in July.
- Springtime for Hitler: Latino AIDS Commission Chair Dennis DeLeón worked the press at a July demo against New York state’s new partner-notification law.
- Send in the Clowns: In July, antigay minister Fred Phelps’ flock picketed outside All God’s Children Church in Minneapolis.
- Greased Lightning: HIV positive writer Paul Harris flies to a photo finish in the 100-meter race at Gay Games V in Amsterdam.
POZarazzi: AIDS! The Musical
Movers, shakers and troublemakers