The Communications and Events Specialist constructs compelling stories, generates social and print media, and plans events to increase the visibility and funding of Community of Hope. We are looking for a candidate who can be proficient in communication and design, honed interpersonal skills, and knowledge of the creative development process.
Highlighted Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads team on writing stories and creating content for COH communications (website, social media, e-newsletters, print newsletter, etc.);
- Manages logistics for annual fundraising event and other events, including but not limited to catering, invitations, nametags, task lists.
- Creates content for and updates COH’s social media outreach on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites on a weekly basis.
- Manages the newsletter and newsletters, including writing articles, working with others to write articles, and coordinating distribution;
- Creates/updates COH web site pages, and coordinates larger website changes with web consultants;
- Creates, edits and/or orders marketing and promotional materials;
- Some media/press relations, including coordinating interviews.
- B.A./B.S. or equivalent experience required;
- 1-2 years communications experience preferred;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required;
- Experience in interviewing and story writing preferred;
- Experience executing a significant event required;
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite a plus;
- Experience working in a nonprofit, social service environment a plus;
- Knowledge of computer systems, including internet and Microsoft Office required;
- Knowledge of Raisers Edge and Online Express, or other fundraising databases, a plus;
- Experience with Drupal or HTML code preferred.
We offer great benefits including:
- Medical Plans through CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield;
- Dental Plans through CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield;
- Vision Plans through CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield;
- Life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance;
- 403(b) Retirement Plan;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses;
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro;
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave and holidays;
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies;
- And much more!
Community of Hope is a rapidly growing, innovative, and mission driven nonprofit. For over 34 years, we have provided health-care, housing, and supportive services for low-income, underserved, and homeless people in Washington DC. We currently operate a variety of housing programs and three community health centers, which offer medical, dental, behavioral health, and birth services. Through providing these programs and supportive services, we continue our mission of helping and enabling people achieve good health, a stable home, family sustaining income, and hope.