Tabouleh With Oven-Roasted Vegetables
1) Boil 3/4 cup water. Add 1/2 cup bulger wheat (a.k.a. cracked wheat), 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper. Return to a boil, remove from heat and let sit, covered tightly, for 15 minutes.
2) In a bowl, mix 1 cup chopped parsley, 1/3 cup sliced scallions, 2 tablespoons chopped mint (optional), 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Stir this into the bulger, fluffing with a fork.
3) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut 2 small zucchini into 1/2-inch discs, 1 large eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes, 4 plum tomatoes into quarters (lengthwise) and 1 large red onion into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
4) Place all vegetables except tomatoes in a roasting pan and drizzle them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast 10 minutes, then add tomatoes, stir and cook another 15 minutes (until the eggplant is tender).
5) In a bowl, mix together 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar, 3 tablespoons ground cumin, 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
6) Spread the tabouleh on a platter and make a small valley in the middle. Toss the roasted veggies with the oil-and-vinegar mixture and place them in that valley. Then squeeze the juice of 1 fresh lime over the dish for zing.